This page is a tool to aid you in your plans for holidaying in the West.  We have attempted to highlight rules that may be unique to WA and driving conditions.


Road Rules


In built up areas around WA the speed limit is 50kph unless sign posted otherwise.  There is also a 40kph speed limit through marked school zones between 7.30am and 9.00am, and 3.00pm to 4.30pm on school days.  For 2007 the WA school holidays will be from April 6 to 22.  On the open road the speed limit is 110kph, while the freeway system is 100kph.  Most highways in the metropolitan area are 80kph with some at 100kph.


Speed Cameras are used frequently in WA, and mainly in the metro area, although some larger country towns also have them.  They will generally be placed in front of a tree, light pole, bus stop seat, or similar.  The object is usually larger than the camera making it difficult to see.  The vehicle is usually parked in behind trees etc (to provide shade for the driver), and thus is out of sight.  There is no sign being displayed so it is easy to miss seeing the camera.  The vehicle of choice is an unmarked small SUV, and in some cases these vehicles are being parked on the verge with the camera setup in the back behind tinted windows.  They also take photos from the rear in WA as well as from the front.


Laser Radar Guns are also used through out the state and country Police vehicles are usually equipped with roof mounted Radar devices.


At this point in time Radar Detectors are not banned in WA


The Blood Alcohol level is 0.05 and all Police vehicles carry Breath Analysers.  WA also have Booze Buses which travel around the metro area and to some country regions.  Road blocks will generally be set up in a location where you can't avoid them.  Thus by the time you have seen the Booze Bus the Police have seen you, and there are no side roads (no escape!).  Lately the general practise is to check every car going through.




Around the metropolitan area a 98 Octane fuel is available from just about all fuel outlets.  There are a few that do not sell a 98 Octane fuel.  You will also find 98 in large regional centres however many small country towns do not sell 98 Octane fuels.


Avgas is available, for those with a Fuel Passport, from either Lori's Fuel in Kelmscott or Westfuel in Kewdale.  If you do not have a Fuel Passport then talk to your club, or get in touch with the Australian Historic Motoring Federation.




WA is a much larger state than most people realise.  Maps can be misleading when they show a single state.  In some cases WA is shown on the same size map as say Victoria is.  So visually it does not look very far between towns.  Make sure you check the distances before you plan to go somewhere.  You will also find that there is generally greater distances between towns in WA than you are probably use to.  Makes it great for touring as you can settle down to a nice speed and enjoy your GT more.

Joomla templates by a4joomla